Founded in 1882, the church was established to serve the Irish community on the West Side. In 1929, the church was moved to its present site next to St. Malachy School, built in 1912. By the 1930's, the West Side population changed from Irish American to African American. St. Malachy is one of the oldest Black Catholic parishes in the City. For many years, the parish ministered to those living in Rockwell Gardens and Henry Horner Homes.
Founded in 1907, the church was established to serve the Irish and the Italian communities. In the early 1940's, the population shifted and the parish served both African Americans and Mexican Americans. The school, staffed for years by the Mercy Sisters, continued serving both communities until 1990. The Religious Education program dates well back into the parish's history. By the new millennium, more than 250 Mexican American children received instruction and sacramental preparation each year.
St. Malachy + Precious Blood
On Pentecost, May 27, 2012, the two parish united their proud histories into one parish.